Earlier this week I wrote about Bootle Labour’s problems with ‘transparency and accountability’. This has prompted my Birkdale colleague Councillor Simon Shaw to send through full details of his expenses claims from Sefton Council for publication in the interests of transparency.
Simon is one of just a handful of Sefton councillors who make any expenses claims at all. Since 2007 councillors have to bear the cost of travel to committee meetings etc themselves. However cost of travel outside the Borough can be claimed for and Simon is involved with two activities which qualify:
- He has been a member of the Local Government Association’s Human Resources Board and the Local Government Pensions Committee since 2005, which meet in London.
- He has been a member of the Merseyside Police and Crime Panel since 2012.
An analysis of expenses for 1. is to be found here: Expenses 2012/13
In summary, for last year, Simon has claimed:
- £658.15 in total, for 8 trips to London
- an average of £82.27 per trip, which includes rail fares, tube fares and also hotel & subsistence on one trip (this compares with the Standard Open Return from Southport to London Euston which costs £299.00)
- £54.60 for mileage for 4 round journeys to Police & Crime Panel meetings in Huyton (168 miles @ 32.5p per mile)