Sunday, 6 July 2014

The names of the 96 who died at Hillsborough were the text for Michael Nyman's 11th Symphony



 


My good friend Tony Robertson has already posted on the World Premier of Michael Nyman's 11th Symphony-The Hillsborough Memorial. He has also done the spade work and found the links about events leading up to its composition

I was fortunate to be there yesterday-it was a Father's Day present. I can report that the piece was enthusiastically received by the packed audience.Such was the length and passion of the standing ovation you might have felt that the listeners had added a fifth movement.

There was real concentrated attention when Liverpool born mezzo soprano Kathryn Rudge, sang the names of the 96 who died in Sheffield in 1989. It had the same mesmeric effect as John Taverner's composition  The Beautiful Names, which is based on the 99 names of Allah from the Koran.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.