Saturday, 22 February 2014

Aiming Hiigh: Birkdale Primary rooftop playground

Last week I went along to Birkdale Primary for the opening of there new classrooms. The school started life as a Board School back in the 1885. School Boards were one of the first things that women could be elected to and the redoubtable Birkdale Liberal Kate Riley became the first women to be elected to a public body in the town when she joined the Birkdale School Board.

The site is very small and the inventive architects came up with the idea of putting the playground on the roof in order to free up land for the extension..

I was mightily impressed when I was shown round by my colleague Richard Hand who is Chair of the Governors. I understand that the children call him the BFG-the Big Friendly Governor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.