Thursday, 28 July 2011

Southport delight -report on county match

A great article over on the Lancs CCC website about the County Cricket here in Birkdale


I really can't complain about my journey to the cricket this week. I shut my front door, walk for about six minutes, and there I am, unmolested by the tender mercies of Northern Rail, standing in the car park of the club I joined some 30 summers ago. I've seen it as a player, as an administrator, as a scorer, as a journalist, and, of course, as a spectator. I watched my first cricket here somewhere around the mid-sixties and I certainly saw the Indian tourists play here in 1967. Arriving on the first day of the return of first-class cricket to the old place was, well, just a little moving.
 

You can read the full article by a journalist who hails from these parts here

It was a great occasion for Southport. The first two days had bumper crowds-the biggest Lancs have had in the Championship. The ECB have declare that the Trafalgar Rd ground has produced  a good cricket wicket. sadly the rain came too late to save Lancs and Notts had an unexpected victory

photo by Elspeth

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. So did I except for the truly draconian and over the top parking restrictions. As a blue badge holder I did not enjoy having to park up on the bank & having to struggle across a very busy road & walk what for me was a very long way. I shall not go again.

    ReplyDelete

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.