Wednesday, 8 June 2011

Emlyn Hooson proposed something far more draconian that Vince

Now there has a been a lot of fuss about Vince Cables Speech about strikes. As Jonathan Calder makes clear the key passage of his speech is not tirade of mindless Union bashing:

We are undoubtedly entering into a difficult period. Cool heads will be required all round. Despite occasional blips, I know that strike levels remain historically low, especially in the private sector. In fact, until March this year the number of days lost through strikes was lower than at any time since 1931. And of course the right to strike is a fundamental principle. On that basis, and assuming this pattern continues, the case for changing strike law is not a compelling one.

However, should the position change, and should strikes impose serious damage to our economic and social fabric, the pressure on us to act will ratchet up. That is something which both you, and certainly I, would wish to avoid.



Frankly it is pretty unexceptionable 


Now I do remember a time when a Liberal MP did float far more provocatively the notion of curbs on strikes. He did so  just prior to a Party Assembly. I recall  this just to illustrate that things have moved on and that the 'old days' were not somehow always better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.