Tuesday, 25 January 2011

Council officers sound warning on Phase 2 and 3 Childrens Centres

My colleague and esteemed leader has penned a posting in Children's Centres. I think it is fair to say that those of us seriously engaged with reducing the council budget have found this amongst the most difficult of issues to with which to deal. We have tried to stick to the principle that these services should be targetted on the most vulnerable -children who are not 'school ready' as Graham Allen expresses it in his report. Tony lays out the dilemma in a posting today  which begins:

I think it is fair to say that many of us on the Council were surprised when the previous Labour Government launched phases 2 and 3 of Children’s Centres. It is not they were not desirable but we felt that they would not be financially unsustainable. Sadly, that concern/view has risen to the surface over the last week or so. By the way Phase 1 Children’s Centres were targeted at deprived communities, which was the stated aim of the national project originally.


full posting here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.