Tuesday, 4 January 2011

An apology from the Council

I think it best if I just reproduce the article on the front page of the Sefton MBC website that appeared this morning following on from our posting last night

Severe Weather


Sefton Council Chief Executive, Margaret Carney, said: "Following the severe weather conditions witnessed just before Christmas, I wish to sincerely apologise that we didn't achieve better outcomes despite extensive gritting and the efforts of all staff concerned.



"We will learn lessons which will include looking to invest in new equipment and mobilising staff more quickly to manually clear the snow, particularly in town centres.



"While the weather conditions were unprecedented, it is clear that the lives of our communities were significantly impacted and I apologise for that."





2 comments:

  1. If theres anything more insulting than that phrase "lessons will be learned " then ive yet to come across it- we all know this sort of poor management is likely to happen again and they wont be prepared - as im sorry to say they just dont care enough

    that trite phrase is trotted out by all councils time after time as a sop to the media who love reading it out

    Mrs Carney should look at her role in an honest professional way - and reflect on how badly she as chief exec and her management team let us all down so badly- please dont insult us with Lessons to be learned - just do your job properly

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'd all have more respect if 'anon' left his/her name. I'm not sure on what rational basis you make your comments. No one has been more critical of the failure of the council than I have but I firmly believe that lessons need to be learnt. What is the alternative? Not learing lessons.
    Any objective observer would acknowledge that the management of Sefton has improved over the last year. It is not perfect but I have much more confidence in it that I have previously and part of that is my belief that they will learn lessons.

    ReplyDelete

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.