Tuesday, 9 November 2010

Southport Market builder goes into administration

The builder who won the controversial contract to refurbish Southport Market looks likely to go into administration. The Visiter has the story here. It seems that the Kew Meadow School extension is also caught up in the business failure.It is clear to me that because of the expanding population up at Kew the school does need to go ahead. But as to the market at a time when we are seeing cutbacks across the public sector which will impact on important services it has always seemed wrong to us to press ahead with this project. Southport is not short of retail units and the one planned for the Market have been dubbed as a 'Harrod's Food Hall.' The rent seems likely to be set at a level that will exclude start up units . Most telling of all NO private sector operation has been willing to invest one penny, confirming the view that this project carries 'significant financial risk'. Sadly Southport Tory Members on the Cabinet voted to push this and the building of  a new leisure centre through. I don't know how they feel those decisioned are financial sensible in the present climate. I know there is back bench unrest on this issue and some Tories are saying openly 'I declare this leisure centre closed' and they are not talking about the one we are about to build.

2 comments:

  1. I'm interested in the story of the now in administration builders. I am researching the plans to possibly make private the currently publicly owned Leeds Kirkgate Market.
    Do you have any information about that firm.
    Who owned it?
    Where they are now?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry I have no further information

    ReplyDelete

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.