Monday, 4 October 2010

The Importance of measuring properly.

It is one of the strange things about politics in these parts that some folk seeking to present themselves as politicians started filling their online publications with recipes and reports of their meals. Now I have nothing against such people trying to display that they are rounded human beings with some 'hinterland'. Activists can behave sometimes as if the world does not exist outside of their small  political sphere . With the demise of some of those blogs I have been asked to fill the vacuum by including a few recipes of my own. Regular readers with know that I have included  tips before especially when writing posts about my allotment. I can assure readers the foody element will be as well as and not instead of the politics!

It is autumn, the season of Harvest Festivals and a time to take in your pumpkins and squashes before the frost threatens. My daughter once got first prize and Best in Show at the Ainsdale Show for a Pumpkin she grew. The variety she grew was called Sumo and like many giant pumpkins there was a trade off between size and flavour. After much experiment I have identified a couple of pumpkins/squashes that I think are excellent culinary varieties: Crown Prince and  Uchiki Kuri. It is rare to see specific varieties of pumpkins mentioned in recipes, so you can imagine my delight when The Independent this Sunday devoted a whole section to pumpkins and recommended using Crown Prince .
The PUMPKIN - CROWN PRINCE or WHANGAPARAOA CROWN come from New Zealand  and as you see is a hefty specimen weighing in at about 4kg-5kg. Underneath the steel grey/blue skin is a dense orange flesh. It makes brilliant soup and excellent curries-but more of that later.

The recipes in the Independent said use an onion squash or a Crown Prince. Now the Uchiki Kuri is a Japanese 'tear drop'  variety or onion squash and weighs in at about 1kg. So I have this vision  of an person enthused by the article dashing out to Waitrose-where they do occasionally stock Crown Prince- and coming come to prepare the dish and landing up with 4x the pumpkin flesh required.

Ah well my readers are not so rule bound so let me direct you to a recipe which will take a whole Crown Prince, in fact you use the hollowed out and baked pumpkin to serve this curry. The recipe was collect by Sophie Grigson at a West Indian Church in London where it was the centre piece of their harvest supper. For meat eaters amongst you  can add diced shoulder of lamb to the onion/spice mixture to seal it before adding the tomatoes, then cook until tender and then proceed as the recipe.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.