Wednesday, 25 August 2010

Southport 1 Altringham 0



Last night I went along to Haig Ave for the first time this season to see Southport take on Altringham in the Premier League of the Conference League. I must admit I will go more often if the standard is as high as it was last night. This is the top flight of non league football-next stop Division 2. I was impressed that the passes found their man and Southport played some neat possession football. Altringham, perfectly understandably, set out their stall to defend and rely on break away counter attacking. Southport had clear chances especially in the first half, especially with the wind behind them. The second half was more even until 10 minutes from the end Gray played a 'one-two' and beat the keeper.

The crowd of well over 1000 were in good spirits and certainly those around me were happy with the performance and the result. The Visiter's report is a little more down beat. The result-taken along with the victory away to Kidderminster and the draw at Cambridge-suggest that Southport has what it takes to establish themselves in this league.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.