Wednesday, 4 August 2010

Lib Dem Gardening Society

Roy Connell has emailed me (see below) he and Beth are part of a fast growing band of back garden allotmenteers which have sprung to life in recent years. Amongst their number are folk who are now putting their names down for allotment sites. I know my colleague Mike Booth is keen to expand the provision available and I have heard talk of the site off Town Lane being expanded. Kropotkin would approve. Anyway back to Roy. He has sent in a far superior picture to the one I posted yesterday. I am very impressed by the variety of crops they he and Beth are growing-and it is certainly brave to be growing carrots without them being covered up. I can only conclude that Ainsdale does not suffer from the ravages of the carrot fly in they way that the rest of the town does. Here is Roys mail:

'Just read today's blog and the story on your beans(painted lady) and yes
I agree with your daughter the photos from your phone are lousy !




I am attaching one that I took the other week from our little allotment
(at home ) this was Beth's idea but I have been drawn into it , we have
been going for a few years now and getting better all the time ( thanks
to advice from Dave Sumner and Pat) . We normally grow Potatoes , runner
beans , onions, carrots , cabbage if we can find the space, and this
year some leeks . Its very rewarding , and its amazing what crop you can
get from a small patch of land.'

We should add that the Southport Flower Show has a 'Grow Your Own' section including a demonstration allotment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.