Friday, 9 July 2010

YL's visit Kropotkin's grave

I have written before about the impact on Liberalism made by Kropotkin.(sadly I have not tagged all the postings). Nevertheless I was unaware about a visit made to Kropotkin's grave by leading YL's back in the winter of 1967/8. Writing in the most recent Journal of Liberal History (Issue 67) Peter Hellyer records a visit to Russia :

Our hosts were somewhat taken aback by our requests and questions.Thus in Moscow, we insisted on visiting the tomb of the Russian anarchist Peter Kropotkin, in Kiev we asked party officials to explain the nature of Ukraine's separate national identity, and in the Latvia ....we spent hours with a young artist who carefully explained the history of Latvia's forcible  annexation by the Soviet Union and the validity of its continued desire for independence.



1 comment:

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.