Tuesday, 6 July 2010

whose government is it anyway?

I had to attend a conference last week. It was not the sort of event where the political media would gather and therefor I found the language used by the speakers very informative.

Four government ministers Nick Hurd, Iain Duncan Smith’s replacement Maria someone or other, Ed Vaizey and Paul Burstow. The first 3 talked about our government, David Cameron and ‘as we said in opposition’ implying that the policy would transfer seamlessly to the new government. None of them mentioned ‘the coalition’, Nick Clegg, none referred to the Lib Dems or our partners- even when thy were talking about interdepartmental cooperation with the Business Secretary -Vince didn’t get a name check but there was lots of name dropping of other Junior(Tory ministers)-most of whom I confess I didn’t recognise.

Then it was Paul's turn. It is not that he didn't mention the coalition-he hardly every shut up about it. He spoke of the agreement and of  Andrew Lansley. He exalted the conference delegates to down load and study the joint coalition agreement.

When it came to questions-and to be fair only Paul and Vaisey took questions. The tone was the same. In answer to one question Vaizey even asserted that it was a 'Conservative Government'!

How things will change when the going gets really tough. I predict that the number of name checks we get from Tory Ministers will increase in direct propotion to the unpopularity of the government.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.