Wednesday, 12 May 2010

Southport's worst Tory result since at least 1885

Time for a little historical reflection


I  can confirm that the Tory's have set a record in Southport. Their 35.8% of the vote was
marginally worse than Matthew Banks`  35.9% in 1997 and you don`t need
me to tell you what an awful year that was for the Tories !
Interestingly the Tories have not polled as much as 40% of the vote
since 1992. In the last four elections they got 35.9, 36.5. 37.0 and
35.8. 
My detailed records only go back to 1885 but I think it is fair to say
that the Tories performance in Southport was almost certainly their
worst ever despite Lord Ashcroft`s  funding.



On the local election front we have highlighted Haydn`s
incredible swing. I can think of nothing to equal it. Without looking up
the record books I would suggest our 6 out of 7 wins was better than
anything  we have achieved previously. The year Alix Farley won
Cambridge may have also coincided with us winning Ainsdale but I think
not. Back in 1962 we won 9 of the 10 seats we contested but all but one
were straight fights against the Tories.



Thank to Michael Braham for the research -you can learn more by looking at his History of Southport Liberals available online at our website

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.