Friday, 7 May 2010

Southport Victory

John Pugh      21 707
Porter (..Tory) 15 683
Conalty (Lab)   4,116
Durrance (UKIP)  2,251    


Brilliant campaign. It did help to have a well respected hard working local champion in John Pugh. Sadly my colleague Simon Shaw became unwell and had to be taken to hospital and so missed the drama. This was a rout. It was easy to take the tactical decision that to win we had to attack in the Tory stronghold of Ainsdale where their candidate was a high profile councillor with a whopping majority. It was Simon who led the charge with ideas about how to develop the campaign. For a month key Birkdale activists -joined latter by people from the rest of the town- campaigned in Ainsdale. You will note that almost all my campaign blogging has come from Ainsdale. I'm just off to the local government count and we will see the full extent of the swing in Ainsdale. My guess that it will dwarf many we have seen tonight. 
We should also mention in dispatches the campaign in Dukes ward. This is the other Tory ward. They too worked their socks off. I will report more of how we did it and the implications later. But for background follow the 'Tory Squabble' tags below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.