Monday, 26 April 2010

get back on message, stop talking about hung parliaments

Earlier this morning I added a comment on Lib Dem Voice that people should not get sucked into the whirlpool of fantasy coalition building. I did so because I am haunted by the General Election when Paddy, Kinnock and Major got drawn into this debate to our detriment.

I remember it well. I remember the hype. I remember the endless TV and radio on discussions on hung parliaments and voting systems. I remember the feeling that this time it might happen. I was contesting Congleton.
The media had picked up on us as a possible surprise. Edward Pearce was doing a book called 'Election Rides' that had a chapter on our campaign. The Guardian had an article on the Saturday before polling implying we might win. Old friends got in touch. Most exciting of all Jo Grimond turned up-unplanned and by mistake and did a public meeting (possible his last election outing). Then it all faded away rather like one of those old Amstrad computers being unplugged and you see the printing on the screen slowly disappearing as it dawns on you that you've not saved the document.  Let us not make the same mistake again

There are four key messages: fair taxes, a bold education plan to give all children a real chance, cleaning up the political system and implementing Dr Cable's economic plan with new 'green' jobs. So if some third rate journalist obsessed with hung parliament asks the question tell them a vote for the Lib Dems is about fair taxes, a bold education plan to give all children a real chance, cleaning up the political system and implementing Dr Cable's economic plan with new 'green' jobs. Even if the poor wretch can't cope with the idea that politics may be changing keep repeating the message. If necessary rig up a little contraption so you get an electric shock every time someone asks about a hung parliament.

Later in the day Stephen Tall (a man from Sefton who admitted voting Labour once in one of our target wards) wrote a much more considered posting

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.