Tuesday, 6 April 2010

The best campaign song?

Liberal England has noticed a posting on Andrew Whitehead's blog including a recording of the Liberal Land song dating from 1910. Whitehead has also traced the recording of Michael Foot talking about the land song which I recalled in a previous posting. 

Whitehead is a journalist and he interviewed Foot about the song following a book review that the Labour leader had written in the Guardian:

'I interviewed Michael Foot back in November 1990 about 'The Land Song' after he had made reference to it in a 'Guardian' book review. This is the full account of what he told me:
‘I was brought up in a Liberal household down in Cornwall and Plymouth. My father was a Liberal Member of Parliament, a radical Liberal, and he taught me the song. Way back in the 1920s, I heard the song being sung. It wasn’t only the Liberals who sang it – it was sung by many others as well. I’m not quite sure who invented it. Lloyd George adopted it when he carried out his land campaign, and his attack on the landlords in 1909, 1910, and all the associated People’s Budget. And ‘The Land Song’ was the one which really seemed to strike terror into the hearts and minds of the landlords – as it should because it was directed at them.'



It is well worth a visit to Andrew Whiteheads blog.


Here is the song being sung at the Lib Dem Conference last year


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.