Monday, 22 March 2010

Sreepur

I usually go for a walk at lunchtime if I've been stuck in the office . Luckily I'm based on Hope Street in Liverpool. This is the street that links the two Cathedrals, so even a a dreich day like today I can go for a walk inside.
Today I went to the Catholic Cathedral and was rewarded by hearing the girls choir rehearse. the circular layout of the building is ideal for my purpose. In the side chapels there are ofter exhibitions and today I stumbled upon a really impressive one about the Sreepur village in Bangladesh and the part that people her in the NW have been playing in its economic improvement. The story was around a Liverpool women Ruby Porter who is a leading light in the Merseyside Embroiderers group. Some years back she saw a television documentary about the building of an orphanage in this Bangladesh village. She became involved in the embroidery and textile work they do and was fascinated by many of the traditional colouring, weaving and embroidery skills there. The vocational training in the village now uses those skills to give people the means to earn a living. There were examples of their work and -even to one who knows nothing about embroidery-it looked amazing. I see that Ruby Porter also came along to the Southport Quilters earlier this year.

It is sad that we don't get to hear more about the stories of the many people whose activities make a real difference to peoples lives. Who said altruism is dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.