Saturday, 6 March 2010

Care homes and pets and Tiddles admission to the psychiatric ward

Yesterday in Parliament a backbencher introduced a private member's Bill to allow pets to be admitted in to care homes and sheltered accommodation.
It is clear to me that pets can be of major therapeutic value. Many years ago I got a cat-he was I think actually called Tiddles-admitted to a psychiatric ward. Her owner was very reluctant to go as a voluntary patient with our the cat. The hospital-Sefton General-was one of the most depressing I've ever entered and this lady was destined to go to the elderly person's ward which-I kid you not-looked out on to a large cemetery. Anyway I persuaded one of the porters to take the cat in. He had a very successful admission and had access to a large number of rodents to hunt.

1 comment:

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.