Sunday, 8 February 2009

100 years of old age pensions













The UK state old age pension was 100 years old on 1st January 2009 having been introduced by Lloyd George as Chancellor of the Exchequer.


(well the situation is a little more complex than that, Iain Sharpe explains)

It was brought in at 5 shillings per week, which would be worth in 2009, well.....

In 2005, £0 5s 0d from 1905 was worth:
£17.89 using the retail price index £23.01 using the GDP deflator £95.01 using the average earnings £112.96 using the per capita GDP £158.26 using the share of GDP


When I was a county councillor in Middlewich there was an old gentleman who had been given the middle names of LLoyd George by his parents in cemmoration of the OAP. In fact the pension was called the 'Lloyd George' for a long time.


Tony Dawson has brought my attention to a You Tube video of a folk song that celebrates the event and herethe lyrics are:






Well I'd walk from 'ere to Skipton,

Ten mile ' clarty lane.

If I could see him face to face,

and thank him for 'is pains.




Cos he took me out o' t' workhouse,

and he gave me life that's free.

Five shillin' a week for cheatin' death,

is what Lloyd George gives me.




Well he gives me leet and firin'

and flour to bake me bread,

and tea to mash wi' every meal,

and sup until I'm dead.




And I've nowt to do but thank 'im,

an' make a cross wi' t' pen.

Five shillin' a week for nowt but that,

Ay, he's the best of men.




And he took me out o' t' workhouse,

and he gave me life thats free.

Five shillin' a week for cheatin' death,

is what Lloyd George gives me.




Well I don't know much about politics,

but I do love that Lord,

for he spends hs savings like a King,

when other folks is lowr'd.




And I know lots of old fellers,

who are past their 70th year;

Lloyd George - he addles brass for them,

to buy a sup of beer.




And he took me out o' t' workhouse,

and he gave me life thats free.

Five shillin' a week for cheatin' death,

is what Lloyd George gives me.-




And if my old man were here today,

he'd say that I spoke true.

Though he never liked them Liberal lot,

and he always voted blue.




But t'parson's wife, she tells me,

that soon were goin to t' poll.

Oh I 'ope she's right - I'll vote for him

wi all my 'art and soul!



Cos he took me out o' t' workhouse,

and he gives me life thats free.

Five shillin a week for cheatin' death,

'is what Lloyd George gives me.




And I don't know where he comes from,

'appen it's down Leeds way.

But every neet and mornin'

for his long life I'll pray.




Cos he took me out o' t' workhouse,

and he gave me life thats free

Five shillin' a week for cheatin' death,

is what Lloyd George gives me.