Sunday, 25 January 2009

Getting a man in to do the job for you

Southport F C are riding high in the league with games to spare over those above them. This weekend they meet Torquay in a FA Trophy tie which I guess will bring one of the biggest crowds to Haig Ave this year and lots of visitors to the town.
A little while a go a new supporters organisation was formed Trust in Yellow. Our MP John Pugh met them and was impressed by their enthusiasm and ideas. They drew up a programme and top of the list was new signage to the ground.
I was pleased to meet their (then)Chair who had carried out a lot of research and met with the Highways folk. It seemed to me that this was a highly appropriate scheme for the small pot of money held by the Southport Area Committee and so I proposed it at the next meeting. I had hoped that the scheme would be shared by all the wards but the Tories refused to put their hands in their pockets and did not support the proposal. Nevertheless we did not let their niggardliness get in the way and we paid for the ones that had to sited in their wards.
The picture is of Richard Hands and me by the sign in Ainsdale.