Thursday, 8 November 2007

New readers

This blog has never been advertised or listed for search engines. Nevertheless we appear have some readers. Eleven to be exact. In deference to our new readers I thought I'd tidy up the blog and publish some new material. In particular I have taken the chance to include some information on the most bizarre event I have ever witnessed in local government-namely the events of the last council meeting.
I was absent-away on business-when the Tories ganged up with Labour after the press and public were kicked out to undermine the budget that we had been carefully worked on.
That night in secret over £600,000 of identified saving were on the table. The Tories bottled it. In the teeth of the Chief Exec's clear advice that the identified posts were surplus to our needs they voted not to make the identified savings and instead took a different and much more costly decisions. There were no costings, no briefings on the option they proposed available to councillors. Simon's letter to the DA outlines the full folly of the decision. I am far from convinced the council had the power to take the decision;was it legal? was it so perverse as to fall foul of the Wednesbury principles. More of this will follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.