Wednesday, 21 November 2007

Dukes Ward Tories fight back against their Leader

The Visiter have done their digging well. It seems that being civil to people in other Parties is now a capital offence in Southport Tories. Silly really I thought we were all meant to be working together for the good of the town.
If David wins his appeal- and the fact that Les and Sir Ron have come out publically to support him suggest they are confident- what an untenable position Brenda and Paula will be in......
Angry desellected Southport Conservative councillor David Pearson pledges to fight against party plotters
Nov 21 2007
by John Siddle, Midweek Visiter

THE former Mayor of Sefton, who was controversially axed by Sefton Conservative Group, has accused his party of plotting a dirty tricks campaign, and told them ‘watch this space!’
Councillor David Pearson was ousted by the Tories in a private ballot last week, and was then stunned to read group leader, Cllr Paula Parry, wish him a ‘long and healthy retirement’ in a statement carried by the Visiter.
The Dukes Ward councillor, who feels “humbled” by support from residents, has now lodged a formal appeal, and has spoken of his intention to fight until his suspension is quashed.
The Hillside resident - councillor for over 16 years - said he had no intention of quitting local politics, and will continue to represent his Birkdale constituents.
He said: “My principal role as a councillor is to look after my concerns and queries of the electorate of Dukes Ward - this has always been my first call, and I have always carried out these duties to the best of my abilities.
“I read with interest the article that stated I would not be standing in the May elections and that I was wished a long and healthy retirement!
“I did not resign or retire, nor say that I would before May, thus making this a complete fabrication of what occurred - typical of the innuendos that have been formed against me.”
Conservatives said that Cllr Pearson’s reluctance to toe the party line and maintain party discipline left him ‘a loose cannon’. His camaraderie with Lib Dem councillors is also believed to have concerned his Tory peers.
But Cllr Pearson said: “I cannot recall ever voting against any Conservative proposal and have always followed the majority viewpoint.
“I am also accused of being too friendly with the Lib Dems in Southport. As some of them go, as I do, to support the local football team, I do speak with them regarding the games!”
The move to isolate Cllr Pearson has divided the Conservatives. An unnamed source told the Visiter that Cllr Pearson was a victim of circumstance, and that Cllrs Sir Ron Watson and Les Byrom, close allies of Cllr Pearson, may also have been ‘gunned down’ had their posts been up for re-election in 2008.
Southport MP, John Pugh said: “I have no illusions about Cllr Pearson's politics. I know from many sources that he is a committed, popular, hard working Tory, determined to get me out at the next election.
“But, when as Council Leader some years ago I needed David's vote on a knife-edge decision to get Ocean Plaza going, he, as a born-and-bred Sandgrounder, crucially voted for progress rather than party.
“I am sure lots of ordinary Southport Tories must be saddened by what is happening.”
Both Cllr Parry, and deputy leader, Cllr Brenda Porter, declined to comment while the appeals process was underway.